Here we are, fresh into February–Marathon month! I kicked off February with a 20 miler on Sunday. It’s crazy to think in a few short weeks I’ll be toeing the line at Phoenix ready to see all this hard work pay off! (Hopefully).
January was a pretty crazy month. I ran in the snow, the rain, the very cold, the unseasonably warm, Sedona, Flagstaff, on the treadmill, in the very early morning and in the evenings. If anything can be said about this training cycle, it’s that I’ve definitely overcome my hatred of winter running….or at least learned how to tolerate it.
Total miles covered: 188.5
I had to do my math a couple times on this, because it’s not exactly my strong suit ( I came up with 161.5 the first time…that’s a pretty serious discrepancy). But, I did it. I ran 188.5 miles for the month. I had some very low points, and some really great moments (like my 18 miler) to make it a pretty rounded month. I’d be lying if I said it all felt good. This month has been absolutely exhausting. The early mornings are still a struggle, but I’m powering through!
Total days run: 22
Running five days a week is going pretty well. This past week was the first time I felt really exhausted during my long run, but I feel that I can attribute that to a few other things other than running 5 times a week.
Total Strength Days – 7
I’m including the two days this month I did yoga (yay!), bringing it up to a grand total of 7 strength days. I moved them almost strictly to Saturday, so they’re never that intense (in order to be fresh for my long run on Sunday), but it still counts!
Rest Days – 4
I try to do some kind of activity on my rest days, even if it’s just a short ab workout. There were a few times this month where a complete rest day was just needed. I also took a step-back week that had an extra rest day in it.
Goals from December:
- Foam roll and yoga: Success! Ish. I did yoga twice and have tried to be better about using my roller. It’s not quite as good as it could be, but it was definitely better than the past few months.
- More speedwork: Check! I started incorporating a few more speed sessions per week, plus some speedwork during my long runs.
- Be a better planner: Check. I got on the treadmill when I needed to, and now that I have one of my own, I can play around with my running schedule a little bit more (like last Wednesday for example).
- Keep working on fuel: Check!
- Stay healthy: So far, so good. A few girls at work have had the flu and I’ve been avoiding them like nobody’s business.
Goals for February:
- Stay strong. I have one more week until taper time and I want to finish out strong.
- Take care of myself. Meaning foam rolling, strength training and general taking care of my body. During taper I think I’ll kick it down to 4 days of running per week and do an extra strength day.
- BQ: Ugh, I know. But let’s face it. That’s what I’m doing this for and this month is the month!
- Get to that start line healthy. ‘Nuff said.